Publishing of the journal "Pasze Przemysłowe" [Industrial Feeds/Feedingstuffs]
Pasze Przemysłowe has been published since 1993. It includes data and information on current problems crucial to the production, trade and application of feedingstuffs. Information is passed on in the form of science and review articles based on research results carried out by internal and external scientific and research units, as well as on current data from publications from all around the world. Moreover, information about national and EU law (regulations, directives) concerning the problems of the agricultural and feed industry is also published in Pasze Przemysłowe, which also presents information on standardisation related to the feed industry. Currently, issues of Pasze Przemysłowe are published by the National Research Institute of Animal Production in Kraków and the National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs in Lublin as well as by the Polish Union of Feed Producers.
The range of topics in the published articles encompasses issues related to the technology of feed processing, the analytical evaluation of feedingstuffs and the methods of laboratory analyses adapted to feed characteristics. We also feature the biological evaluation of feed materials and feed additives and the balancing of composition of mixed feeds for specific species of production animals as well as information concerning current legal regulations related to the production, trade and application of feedingstuffs.
National Research Institute of Animal Production National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs in Lublin
prof. dr hab. J.Grochowicz, prof. dr hab. W.Cybulski, prof. dr hab. K.Kwiatek, mgr B.Nogalska, dr S.Walczyński, dr hab. K.Zawiślak, prof. I.J.Kocjumbas
Training of inspectors of the IW (Veterinary Inspectorate), of employees in ZHW (Veterinary Hygiene Institution) laboratories, and of feed producers in the fields of implementing "feed law", sampling, and implementation of new methods for feed examination.
1. Compilation and description of library collections in the fields of
- animal nutrition
- feed science
- feed technology
- veterinary medicine
- feed testing
2. Interlibrary exchange of books, national and international journals
3. Information services in the field of feed production and utilisation.
Scientific and research activities
The National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs in Lublin is engaged in activities in the field of science, research and development and implementation directed to the needs of state inspection and feed producers, in particular in the fields of:
- development, verification and standardisation of methods for feed analysis in the field of non-target substances of vegetable origin, active substances of feed additives, and technological additives
- evaluation methods of technological processes in feed production (in feed and the feed utilisation industry)
- chemical and biological evaluation of feed materials and feed additives, in terms of their usefulness and safety of application
Currently-conducted research within the framework of statutory activity:
- elaboration and validation methods for determination vitamin B1 and B2 in feedingstuffs
- evaluation of mixture homogeneity
- performance characteristic of HGAAS method for As and Se
- performance characteristic of the method for determination of fiber fractions in feedingstuffs
- assessment of the risk of cross-contamination in feed production.
Research currently being conducted is within the Long-term Programme 2006-2010 - Task 3.1 Monitoring of animal feedingstuffs in terms of chemical comparition and nutritive value.
Research service (analysis of feedingstuffs)
The National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs in Lublin conducts analysis o feedingstuffs for the purposes of own researches, feed control and supervision and for feed producers, in the field of:
- basic nutrients (dry matter, crude ash, crude fat, crude fiber and fiber fraction [NDF, ADF and ADL], crude protein, starch and sugar
- amino acids (including sulphur amino acids and tryptophan)
- lipid fractions (fatty acid composition, parameters of fat quality)
- minerals (chloride, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, manganese, zinc, copper, molybdenium, cobalt, selenium and iodine)
- undesirable and harmful components of vegetable origin (trypsin inhibitors, urease activity, phytate, undesirable elements and compounds like fluoride, arsenium, nitrite, cadmium, lead, mercury)
- determination of active substances of feed additives and proteinous feed materials in premixes and/or feedingstuffs (vitamins: A, E, B1, B2, ionophore coccidiostats)
- evaluation parameters of feed processing (degree of mixing, effectiveness assessment of mixer, pellet durability).
The reference activity of National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs is conducted pursuant to Art. 45 of the Polish Feed Law of 22 July 2006 (Polish Journal of Laws, No 134, item 1045) and Art. 33 .2 of Regulation (EC) no 882/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on official controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with feed and food law and animal health and animal welfare rules (Official Journal of the European Union L 165 of 30.04.2004, p.1).
Pursuant to the Regulation of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of 13 June 2008 on the list of national reference laboratories for the feedingstuffs testing (Polish Journal of Law No 118, item 758 of 2008), the National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs in Lublin carries out the tasks of a reference laboratory, which include testing of animal feedingstuffs in the following areas: basal nutrients, mineral components (macro- and microelements), feed additives (dietetic, technological, zootechnical, sensoric), alive insects, genetically modified products, protein materials from microorganisms, undersirable substances of plant origin, homogeneity.
Pursuant to the Commission Regulation (EC) No 378/2005 of 4 March 2005 on detailed rules for the implementation of Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards the duties and tasks of the Community Reference Laboratory concerning applications for authorisations of feed additives (Official Journal EC L 59 of 5.03.2005), the National Laboratory for Feedingstuffs is a member of the Consortium of National Reference Laboratories.